Monday 30 January 2012

Final Project - Video Editing (Black Effect Trail)


Here is a video of my first attempt of generating the black eye effect that is common in many vampire films. Apologies for the video as I am not used to using Adobe After Effects so the effect will likely look a little off and also the conversion as didn't know how to export properly. I had planned to use this effect since the beginning of my project but lacked the skills or knowledge to attempt such an effect but after finding a tutorial at Videocopilot.com for eye replacement, I attempted my first go at trying it out. I used a piece of footage where I filmed for such an occasion and followed the instructions with it turning out, reasonable okay. The were changed black and stayed mostly in place. However, it seemed my motion track was a little off as towards the end you can see a slight flicker of the eye matte. I also lacked the accuracy of using the pen tool to draw around the eye hence the slightly different shape even though one eye was more clear then the other due to the line of sight from the actor. The texture used for the eye could be better to give it the slightly reflective look seen on other vampire films or shows (e.g. Being Human).


Now that I have tried Adobe After Effects and got to grips with some of the features, I have started to experiment with other features that I have learned to do like day to night conversion which would help greatly with my footage as since its a vampire film and since I had to film during the day to ensure decent quality footage, it will allow me to change scenes to how they were intended and achieve more diverse footage. It also allows me to salvage more footage as it can be used to fix shaky footage with the use of motion tracking if done correctly and with me achieving a working version of After Effects at home is allowing me to improve my skill with the programme so when my work is satisfactory, I'll post it to my blog.

2 comments: